In October, 1994, member companies of the American Forest & Paper Associates agreed to adhere to the following set of forestry principles through a landmark program called the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SF1).
1. “To practice sustainable forestry to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theft own needs by practicing a land stewardship ethic which integrates the reforestation, managing, growing, nurturing and harvesting of trees for useful products with the conservation of soil, air, and water quality, wildlife and fish habitat, and aesthetics”;
2. “To use in its own forests, and promote among other forest landowners, sustainable forestry practices that are economically and environmentally responsible”;
3. “To protect forests from wildfire, pests, diseases, and other damaging agents in order to maintain and improve long-term forest health and productivity”;
4. “To manage its forest and lands of special significance (ie, biologically, geographically, or historically) in a manner that takes into account their unique qualities”;
5. “To continually improve the practice of forest management and also to monitor, measure and report the performance of our members in achieving our commitment to sustainable forestry”.
* Copyright (c), Sustainable Forestry Initiative
Copyright 2009 Northern Timberlands. All rights reserved.